Hardwood floors offer natural beauty, elegance, long-term value, and ease of cleaning. Here’s a list of hardwood floor tips to help you select the appropriate design for any room in your home.
- Make your floor the center of attention: This technique adds depth and dimension to any room with an overall light aesthetic. Use a dark hardwood with subtle variations in graining to contrast bright lighting or light colored walls.
- Make the room seem more spacious: Use natural colored hardwood in a room with darker walls. Bright hardwoods with less grain are perfect for these interiors and make the room seem more open and inviting.
- Make a smaller room seem larger: By laying the boards across the width of the room, as seen in the example, you can make a narrow room look wider. This little trick can help you make the most of limited space and welcome visitors into cozy areas.
- Achieve a hand-crafted appearance: Wire brushed or hand-crafted wood gives a distinctive appearance thanks to character markings and differences in shading.
- Make a bold statement: Take over the room with orange and red hardwood floor tones by using a vibrant copper or russet toned hardwood. This directs visitors’ attention to the exquisite wood floors while generous lighting and bright walls offset some of the commanding presence of this elegant floor.
- Use the same species and tone of wood throughout your home: This will make each room appear and feel bigger and provide a cohesive look. You can adjust the width of the planks for individual rooms to achieve different aesthetics.
Equipped with these hardwood floor tips, you’ll be prepared to take charge and get creative with your next floor remodel.